1. Hi Jess, could you please give me a brief summary of who you are and what you do?
My name is Jess Morgan and I’m a singer-songwriter based in the UK. I’ve been releasing music on my own record label for the last 5 years and my most recent album ‘Langa Langa‘ was released in April 2014 and named one of The Telegraph’s ‘Top Ten Folk Albums of the Year’. I also collaborate with producers on tracks in the dance and trance music world.
2. How many people are in your business? Is it just you?
3. How long have you been using Sage One Accounts? What were you using beforehand? Why did you change?
When I had a part-time job I remember we used Sage’s desktop software in our office so I was already aware of the brand but am pretty new to Sage One. I’m really keen to start using it myself and finally get organised. So far I have only used a mixture of spreadsheets and knocked together invoice templates.
4. What do you like best about Sage One?
I like the idea of everything being clean and easy to manage. I’m particularly looking forward to being able to do things on the go.
5. Have you tried using the free Sage One mobile app? If so, what do you think?
I have downloaded the app and am just getting to grips with it now. I’m certainly looking forward to being able to invoice for performances and sales fairly instantly. At the moment my desk is full of the usual to-do lists and notes to me! Being able to do things from my mobile phone means I can use up ‘dead-time’ for example when I’m on a train or at motorway services doing something useful!
6. What advice would you give to someone starting out in the music industry / following in your footsteps?
Hmmm, first advice might be to think carefully about following in my footsteps! I’ve made a lot of mistakes and have had to learn from them the hard way. If I could nip back in time and impart some wisdom to myself from the future I think it would be to simply slow down, think strategically and don’t be in such a rush all the time! I’d say this applies as much to creative endeavours as to handling the finances.
Find out more
Visit www.jessmorgan.co.uk to find out more about Jess, her music and to see her forthcoming tour dates. You can also listen to or buy her album ‘Langa Langa’ by clicking on the links below.