In 2009, I had the pleasure of interviewing British design legend Wayne Hemingway (Red or Dead / Hemingway Design) at the Tate Liverpool. He was brilliant.
Although the video is now almost 5yrs old, I still think it’s essential viewing for anyone thinking of starting a creative business in the UK.
In it, Wayne describes how he took fashion label Red Or Dead from humble beginnings on a market stall in 1980 into an award-winning international fashion label.
He also explains;
* Why a recession can be a great time to start a creative business
* What ingredients you need to turn great ideas into viable businesses
* The personal qualities you need to be a success
* His innovative ‘Starter for Ten‘ project which provided free workspace for creative businesses in Gateshead town centre
* KioskKiosk – his popup shops that were backed by Boris Johnson and the Greater London Authority (GLA) before ‘popup shops’ were all the rage
* His top tips for scaling up and taking your business to the next level
If you’ve started a creative business or are thinking about doing so, you’ll enjoy the following links: