Instead of us just telling you how good we are, we asked Barrie Newton to tell us about his business and why he likes using our cloud-based Sage One Payroll service.
1. Hi Barrie, could you please give me a brief summary of who you are, the name of your business and what you do?
I am originally an upper second class honours Physics graduate of Nottingham University (many years ago) and am now the proprietor of Rhyl Lightworks Co. in Rhyl, North Wales.
We mend, repair and sell all things electrical in the shop here in Rhyl and sell things over the internet to UK and abroad via our website www.thelightworks.net. Previous businesses, which I have sold, include Square Deal Electrics and Rhyl Electric Centre.
I was originally in my middle 30s when I started in business and am now 69 and gradually winding down.
2. How many people are in your business? Is it just you or do you have business partners / employees?
At present I have 2 employees (excluding me) but I have had as many as 8 in the past. I have no business partners.
3. How long have you been using Sage One Payroll? How were you managing your payroll beforehand? Why did you change?
I have been using Sage One Payroll for a few years now. I was doing the payroll myself beforehand but changed to Sage One save time and avoid mistakes.
4. What do you like best about Sage One Payroll?
Everything is done for you and on the rare occasions I have to phone or email for help, the phone or email is answered promptly and expertly.
5. What advice would you give to someone starting out in business / following in your footsteps?
The advice I would give is know your subject inside out, and things you don’t know about (like payroll and tax matters), get in someone or a firm who is an expert on these things to help oversee what you do.